Send As SMS

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Elusive One

The Olympus 35UC is often referred to as 'The Elusive One' or, equally jokingly, claimed that it is made out of 'Unobtanium' - all due to the rarity of the camera.
The 35UC is funtionally identical to the 35SPn cameras - and optically identical to the 35SP and 35SPn. The differences are purely cosmetic with some added black plastic around the view-/rangefinder windows and the version lettering. Therefore one could argue that the only reason anyone would seek out the 35UC over any of the other cameras mentioned above would be to expand their camera collection.

For some time ago I managed to end up with two of these cameras - without paying a huge 'collectors fee'.

Photo of one of my 35UCs:

I must admit that they have not seen much use since I bought them two-three years ago so it felt good when I took one of them out with me a few weeks ago when I headed down to San Francisco's Mission district. Its f/1.7 lens combined with some fast Neopan film allowed for some fun low-light handheld street shooting.

Olympus 35UC, Neopan 1600

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What features does this camera have to recommend it over, say, the Yashica GSN? (Reminds me that I need to take my GSN for a spin this week.)

October 23, 2006 7:26 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Jordan,

I'm more familiar with the Olympus range of cameras than I am with the GSN - but some differences that I can think of would be;

The SP/SPn/UC cameras all have a dual metering mode: centerweighted and SPOT meter.

The lens is a G.Zuiko (7 elements in 5 groups) vs GSN's 6 elements in 4 groups

The meter on the Olympus cameras are active when the camera is in manual mode.

I also personally prefer the 'looks' of the Olympus cameras to the Yashica ones.

More information can be had at for instance this site:
http://www.cameraquest.com/olysp.htm

October 23, 2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger pcfranchina said...

I have camera envy!

October 25, 2006 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home