Send As SMS

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Night Creatures

It had been quite some time since I last used my Hasselblad so one night I decided to take it out for a spin.
It happened to be 1am at night so I brought my newly acquired tripod with me as well (where the old one went I have no idea).
I am by the way a notoriously horrible tripod buyer and user. People talk about Manfrotto/Bogen/Gitzo and various heads, etc, etc. I personally tend to go for the 30-40 dollar cheapo tripods that you find in the windows of your local Ritz or Wolf camera - designed to lure customers in with their low prices where they are talked into buying something better and more expensive. If it wasn't for me there would not be any rotation on these cheap display cameras.

I loaded up the camera-back with some Tri-X 400 in 120 format and into the night we went...

Night Creatures

Hasselblad 500C/M, 80mm Planar, Tri-X 400

Hasselblad 500C/M, 80mm Planar, Tri-X 400

Hasselblad 500C/M, 80mm Planar, Tri-X 400 (pushed one stop)

Hasselblad 500C/M, 80mm Planar, Tri-X 400 (pushed one stop)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work. I worry about night photography in my city -- the stares and suspicious looks you get from passers-by, mostly.

October 18, 2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

I too take photos... with passion I might say. Although I'm not a tech freak when it comes to cameras persay, I do own a Nikon F100. Totally satisfied with it...

Loved your pics...

Press on...

October 18, 2006 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich, these are excellent! You really got the most out of that cheap tripod! I usually end up buying the same if I'm travelling somewhere and I couldn't fit my beast of a Benbo MkII in my backpack ;) (it's stupidly big, makes it so impractical to use anywhere but the studio)

I've always loved the square format and only occasionally crop down if I think it really needs doing.

Wanted to ask you, do you scan film, or prints? They're always so sharp and well balanced. I recently got a nice new medium format neg scanner (well, not new really, ebay) and it's excellent for colour but black and white tends to look really pretty bad. What am I doing wrong?

Keep them coming man, you make some great photos!

October 18, 2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Matt, thanks for your comments.

When it comes to scanning I scan the negatives (on an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner). Tell you the truth I am not too fond of the scanner - almost any dedicated film scanner will do a better job and one day I may just break down and get one.

What scanner software are you using?
I have been a vuescan (www.hamrick.com) for 5-6 years now and like it a lot.

October 18, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rich,

Yeah, I just got the demo version of Vuescan and I'm so impressed with what I'm getting that I'm going to have to buy it. Don't have a credit card though. Damn.

Oh well!

October 26, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home