Send As SMS

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

How super is 'Super'?

A few years ago (April, 2004 to be more precise) I picked up a Mamiya Super Deluxe at a Photo fair for sixty dollars. The camera was in near-perfect condition and the meter is still spot-on which is impressive for a camera made 40+ years ago (1964).

I think I was initially attracted to it due to the similarities between it and the Olympus 35LC (which is another camera I own and like). For some reason I never ended up using the Mamiya much. I don't know why not as I find it to be an attractive camera, good ergonomics (for me) and it sports a pretty impressive 48/1.7 lens.

The other week I was going through my cameras to check which ones had film in them (I have a habit of shooting half a roll in a camera and then forgetting it's there) - and found that the Mamiya was loaded with a roll of Tri-X 400 with more than half of it exposed. After ruining a couple of frames from opening up the back I fired off the remaining frames and had the roll developed at my favorite, local lab. Below is one of the frames that escaped my back-opening-light.

Mamiya Super Deluxe, Tri-X 400

It's a few years later now - but maybe I can make it up to the Mamiya by taking it out for a shoot this coming weekend. I think it deserves it.

A little bit about the Mamiya Super Deluxe:
The Mamiya Super Deluxe is a fixed-lens, leaf-shutter rangefinder camera produced around 1964. It features an matching-needle meter that is visible inside the viewfinder - as well as on top of the camera. It also have a on-off switch for the meter on the back.

It was released in three versions;
Mid 1964:
1) Version I - Mamiya-Kominar 48/2.0 lens (Copal-SVE shutter)
2) Version II - Mamiya-Sekor 48/1.7 (Copal-SVE shutter)

Late 1964:
3) Version III - Mamiya-Sekor 48/1.5 (Copal-SVE shutter)

(Mine is a 'Version II')

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Mamiya ZE-2 slr that I still own to this day. I don't use it as much but maybe just maybe you've inspired me to break it out of storage. It was my very first camera and I owe my knowledge & love of photography because of it.

October 05, 2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I should suggest that you try the house chow mein - hong kong style! - and the salt-and-pepper chicken wings at the A1 Cafe featured in your beautiful photo if you never have. They are my absolute two favorite dishes in chinatown!

Beautiful work by the way.

October 17, 2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Michael, thanks for the sugggestions and comment. I'm going to have to try the dishes there (I also always have my chow mein/fun Hong Kong style). Salt and Pepper chicken wings sounds good - the best ones of those I had was somewhere on Jackson street in Chinatown (they also have really good salt and pepper pork chops (dry)).

October 17, 2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger Marko said...

I also use a Mamiya Super Deluxe along with my Yashica Lynx 14 (my old good rangefinders). The camera is simlpy lovely. I have order a neckstrap from Gordy Coale to my Mamyia and it looks perfect.

December 01, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Marko, sounds nice - got a photo of it?:)

December 01, 2006 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home