Send As SMS

Saturday, December 30, 2006

"You too?"

When I'm out walking around I must admit I do what I believe that most other people - that are interested in cameras and photography - do: I check out other people's camera gear.
In these 'digital days' I have on several occasions noticed that there is some sort of acknowledgment or 'nod' between people that sport some sort of film-camera and it often leads to a casual, passing conversation about the equipment used.

Browsing a larger department store a few weeks ago I came upon a gentleman that I spotted - or should I say his Leicaflex - at quite a distance. I was carrying a black Olympus 35SP over the shoulder and the previously described 'You too?' expressions were soon exchanged - along with a photo. The 'unknown photographer' was visiting from Taiwan and when I commented that it was a great camera he had brought with him he was quick to comment on that the Leicaflex SL 2 was a much better version. A few minutes later we were both on our separate ways, disappearing into a sea of camera phones and digital points-and-shoots.

Leicaflex SL user
Olympus 35SP, Kodak Tri-X 400

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right you are, "we" are becoming few in number on the street. I do believe that number has however stablized to some extent and now may even be rising. There seems to be a small resurgence in intrest amoung young people for film cameras and it's up to the old hands to fan that flame and keep it alive.

December 31, 2006 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with John that there has been a resurgence in film. Just look at flickr to see what's happening. People are looking for something different and film might just be it and be resurrected.

In addition, take me for example. I was an film user for the longest time. When a digital camera came out that I liked (the Canon 20d) I bought it and my interest in photography in general peaked again. So what do I do after my 20d? I go back to my roots and start shooting film again. I think it's because digital seems to disposable and easy and every joe schmo can do it now. You take 20 shots without even thinking about it as much and throw it away. Of course the same can be applied to film but there's a certain feel for it and the negative gives you something in your hands.

December 31, 2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Thanks for the comments and thoughts - and I hope you're right. I would love to be able to use film for many years to come.

December 31, 2006 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long live film. Frankly, I don't need to know if the photo I just made is good. I should know this before I click the shutter. I hope film lives forever (or as long as I can use a camera). I belong to a photo group in Santa Barbara that has about 50 members. It's 98% digital yet I see so few images from our digital members. I guess if you can't "see" an image it makes no difference whether you use film or digital.

January 03, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger -Rob said...

I believe film will remain for some time. I've dabbled in digital (via film scanner) but film forces me to s_l_o_w down and take my time. Plus, I work in IT and spend enough time on the computer. For me, it's the challenge of film and waiting to see your shots. I whole heartedly agree with not having to see my pictures immediately. You just bracket when necessary. Digital seems to promote more snapshooting. Viva the film!

January 06, 2007 7:11 AM  
Blogger ::devtank:: said...

We are one! ..well we as in cameratechs.com are an older style camera shop, we also repair too. However thats not what brings me here. I was googling something I cant remember what exactly but happened accross your gayday pics on Leica Camera Users, and I am pretty astounded at your images.
I use Neopan 400 most of the time, and have done for 15 years, and Ive nearly always used Rodinal Special to develop in, but now thats gone usse Kodak XTol, however Im very curious to see what you use and how you achieve an almost infinite grain? Do you do inversion developing or jobo style at whats your dev temperature?
Sorry for the tech questions but your images are astounding!

January 06, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

devtank,
I'm 'sorry' to say that for years now I've used a local lab to do my developing. I use Photoshop for post processing and for the night Halloween photos that you may have seen here I used a little bit of Neatimage to the photos to reduce some of the noise (neatimage.com).

January 20, 2007 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home